LF1 Computer

Like Trade Chat, Only Worse

Moderators: Allepac, Bastosa

Talonni

Re: LF1 Computer

Post by Talonni »

Abe wrote: Here is what I would recommend (prices as of May 12th):
The problem with most of your selections are they are bottom of the barrel. The best bang for your buck comes in mid tier options. You are overpaying the fabrication costs when you get the cheapest shit you can. You pay $10 more for an item here and there and that little amount of money gets you significantly more horsepower. I went through this with Esaa when he got his and I think he's pretty happy. When you have a budget you have to come in under said budget but don't skimp on everything. Also, I would highly recommend against Vista for low budget machines such as this. Stick with XP for much better performance.
Bastosa

Post by Bastosa »

Talonni wrote:
The problem with most of your selections are they are bottom of the barrel. The best bang for your buck comes in mid tier options. You are overpaying the fabrication costs when you get the cheapest shit you can. You pay $10 more for an item here and there and that little amount of money gets you significantly more horsepower. I went through this with Esaa when he got his and I think he's pretty happy. When you have a budget you have to come in under said budget but don't skimp on everything. Also, I would highly recommend against Vista for low budget machines such as this. Stick with XP for much better performance.
Talonni lives??? Thank god, now get back in the game! Our new members are startlingly uninitiated.
"You face not Steve Bastosa alone, but the legions I command!"
tylerperkins

Post by tylerperkins »

Im looking at this Barebones kit: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=B69-1052

and this video card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... VIEWS#tabs

I already have a copy of vista from when I was dual booting so that is not a problem.
"Cut the kid some slack. Cut the kid some cake." - Piebald "Sex Sells and Unfortunately I'm Buying"
Shaun986

Post by Shaun986 »

Is that power supply gonna be good enough? I think you'll have to replace that ever you ever get a second video card.
tylerperkins

Post by tylerperkins »

Shaun986 wrote:Is that power supply gonna be good enough? I think you'll have to replace that ever you ever get a second video card.
Yea thats about the only thing that might not be great. If it does not power everything I will just go down tot he computer store and grab one.
"Cut the kid some slack. Cut the kid some cake." - Piebald "Sex Sells and Unfortunately I'm Buying"
Abe

Post by Abe »

Talonni wrote:
@Talonni - My selection was intended to bottom of the barrel.. as a budget wasn't given. It was essentially a baseline to start from. I totally agree that $10 here and there can make a major impact on performance.

@ Tyler - As for the Barebones system you selected, it looks pretty good. However, I couldn't find any info on the Power Supply power connectors. You need a 6-pin connector to power your video card. I would just order another PS right from the beginning. Since you are ordering from TigerDirect, maybe something like: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1078. Usually, the PS in a $40 case is junk anyways.
Talonni

Post by Talonni »

Bastosa wrote: Talonni lives??? Thank god, now get back in the game! Our new members are startlingly uninitiated.
Yep, I'm alive and well just busy with work. This last promotion came with a nice monetary increase (can't complain about that) but also a lot more responsibility (I enjoy it but this can be the cause for some complaint). I figured since I was getting a bit annoyed I would devote more time to work so that when I do decide to play again I'll be ahead of the curve and can slack for a bit. :)

Also, if I'm not playing I don't have to explain anything at work when everyone else is talking about how they have cleared Ulduar and are working on hard mode stuff. I might play again the week after next but I'm out of town next week and this week is hectic preparing for next. Hopefully the guild is doing well and someone has stepped up to ensure people stay in line!
Shaun986

Post by Shaun986 »

People are gquitting left and right. Things are running smoothly and according to plan.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Operating system option 3: download the windows 7 RC and use it for free until june 2010. I have been using windows 7 beta on my laptop and on my living room pc for a while.

Bob
Talonni

Post by Talonni »

Shaun986 wrote:People are gquitting left and right. Things are running smoothly and according to plan.
Anyone interesting?