Stuff I wish I knew as a Star Trek Online newbie

Like Trade Chat, Only Worse

Moderators: Allepac, Bastosa

Wilx

Stuff I wish I knew as a Star Trek Online newbie

Post by Wilx »

What class should I be?
Don’t worry, no matter which class you pick, it's not going to gimp you. Your class skills are mostly, if not all, ground based talents. So long as you know how to pull a few mobs and not all of them, the ground based stuff isn’t difficult. The challenging and exciting part of the game is in space and all 3 classes pick from the same talents for space. Don't confuse the Engineering space talents which every class can choose with the engineering ground talents for engineers only.

What race should I be?
None of the race skills are overpowered, so play what you want. However I am going alien so I can pick the 4 race skills I like the best. There are 6 skills which effect space battles:
  • - Accurate: .1 Accuracy (.1 means 10%)
    - Astro: +10 Starship operations training: Sensor, Deflector, Emitter (maxes at 28% instead of 18%)
    - Efficiency: +5 Shield eff, +5 Engine eff, +5 Energy weapon eff
    - Elusive: .1 Defence (.1 means 10%)
    - Techie: +10 Starship engineering training: Systems performance (aux stuff)
    - Warp Theorist: +10 Starship warp core training: Power level, Power Management
I don't know enough to make a definitive decision on which are best, but since I have to choose, I am thinking Efficiency, Elusive, Techie, Warp. I have been debating between Accurate and Techie, but I am not sure how important accuracy is. I know you can miss on little ships, but I am not sure if you can miss big ships. The only time I used the Astro stuff in battle was with the Tachyon Beam and even there I want to try something else next time.

Which bridge officer do I want?
Bridge officers can use 2 skills to start, one ship and one ground. The best one I found was an Engineer with Emergency Power to Shields. Your shields are down, taking hull damage, use this skill and get your shields back; it's a life saver. If you are not offered an engineer with this skill, go to Sol and hire one or train your existing one in this skill ASAP. It costs the same 100 to hire an Ensign or train one.

You can make use of 3, one of each type, bridge officers on your newbie ship. For a Tactical officer Focus Fire (lowering the damage resistance of the target with each attack from you or your allies) would be a good choice. However I found Torpedo High Yield to be more fun delivering a devastating blow when their shields were down.

The Science office I was given came with Tachyon Beam (drains targets shields). Against large ships you can't defeat them if you can't out damage their shield regeneration. Tachyon Beam is a big advantage against large powerful shields. However Polarize Hull (Damage resistance, breaks Tractor Beams) or Science Team 1 (repairs shield damage, science buff) or Weapon Malfunction (temporarily prevent target form firing) all look interesting, but I have no experience with them.

Where should I put my skill points when levelling?

If you look at the skill bar graph you will see you get 6% for the first point in that skill, 4% for the second, 2,2,1,1,1,.5,.5 for a total of 18%. To avoid diminishing returns putting a point in each one and levelling them all up together is the way to go. You do not need to max a skill, or even put any in, to pick the one beside it in the next column. Since I don't value ground skills as much as space skills I would let the class specific skills and the team skills lag behind the space skills, and end up with 7 in each of the space skills and 5 in each of the ground skills. You need to apply 6700 points (67 skill ups) to open up the Lieutenant Commander (2nd column) skills.

My Logitech G13 game pad isn't working!
Star Trek Online.exe is the launcher, use \Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe instead.

Why where the ships so big and nasty in that mission when the ones before and after were just right?
When you enter a star system from subspace for a mission, you are automatically grouped with others doing the same mission. The game scales the enemies to how many people enter. If you would have got 3 frigates by yourself, you will get 6 frigates and a battleship if there are 3 of you. One time, early on, I came into a mission with 4 others. One by one each of the others left. I could kill off the little ships with hit and run tactics, but with my newbie weapons I was unable to overpower the much larger ship's shield regeneration and had to give up. In most games grouping makes missions easier. However in this game if the pugs aren't as good as you the mission is harder than soloing.
Wilx

Re: Stuff I wish I knew as a Star Trek Online newbie

Post by Wilx »

*Correction* The class you pick does make some difference in space. There are some Class specific skills you unlock as you level up. Half are ground, half are space. Here is an incomplete list of some of the space skills players have found.

Science:
Lieutenant: Sensor Scan I[Space]: Sensor Scan reduces the Damage Resistance of the Target and nearby hostile ships while increasing your perception, making it easier to detect enemies.Unlock: Level 8
Lt.Commander: Subnucleonic Beam I: Increases recharge time of target's powers Unlock: Level 18
Commander: Dampening Field I: Dampening Field projects a shield around your ship, reducing the damage you and nearby allies receive from incoming energy weapon fire.:Unlock: Level 28

Tactical:
Lieutenant: Attack Pattern Alpha I: Attack Pattern Alpha increases the damage of your weapons, and improves your turning rate. Unlock: Level 8
Lt.Commander: Fire on my Mark I:Fire on my Mark applies a damage resistance debuff on the enemy target.Unlock: Level 18

Engineering:
Lieutenant: Rotate Shield Frequency I: Rotate Shield Frequency slightly increases shield regeneration and provides significant damage resistance. Unlock: Level 8
Lt.Commander: EPS Power Transfer I: EPS Power Transfer efficiently distributes energy to increase the power levels to all systems for either yourself or a target ally.Unlock: Level 18
Commander: Nadion Inversion I: Allows an additional energy weapon to fire without depleting power levels for 21 sec. Unlock: Level 28
Captain: Miracle Worker I: Restores Hull, and has a chance to repair disabled subsystems.Unlock: Level 38

Everyone:

Lieutenant: Evasive Maneuvers I: Evasive Maneuvers provides a speed, maneuverability, and defense buff. Unlock: Level 3
Lt.Commander: Brace for Impact I: Brace for Impact provides some kinetic damage resistance to the starship and a significant amount of damage resistance for the crew.Unlock: Level 13
Commander: Ramming Speed I: Ramming Speed provides a short speed burst. If you collide with another ship during the duration, the target ship receives massive kinetic and crew damage and you receive heavy kinetic and crew damage. Shields drastically reduce the effects of kinetic damage.Unlock: Level 23
Captain: Abandon Ship I: Destroys your ship in an auto-destruct sequence. Unlock: Level 33

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=56914