New laptop

Like Trade Chat, Only Worse

Moderators: Allepac, Bastosa

Frizle

New laptop

Post by Frizle »

I'm looking for a new laptop for when I go back to school and have been conflicted on what to get. Been looking and "ultrabooks" and macbook's mainly. Just want to know anyone opinions in the two options, Any major downfalls to getting a mac.(been on win my whole life)
Allepac

Re: New laptop

Post by Allepac »

First I'm sure someone will come on here and disagree with everything I say. But its my opinion and as I always say on here.
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Are you looking for recommendation based purely on day to day computing / school stuff?
Or something with a bit more power for games?

Late last year when I was playing I bought a Razer Blade Gen 2 Laptop and love the thing. Use it everyday. Bought it to raid while I was spending a lot of time down in FL. Price on this thing was ridiculous but I love it. So I kind of went back to windows sort of.

My other laptops Macbook air and Macbook pro. If you are interested in switching go for it. You could always boot camp / Parallels windows 7. You would just have to learn some of the mac quirks. Should be easy enough though. You can prob easily get the software you need. Like Microsoft office or use free alternatives. But that is an issue with switching. Having to "acquire" new software.

Honestly between the two I use my macbook air more. So if you are looking for a ultrabook / 13 inch Macbook air is the way to go imho. But you aren't playing any games on that thing on anything above low settings.

For a 15 inch laptop bo with the Macbook pro.

I feel like I'm rambling and none of this is helpful lol. But if you decide to go mac. you may run into some limitations based on software availability, although it is much better now.
Frizle

Post by Frizle »

i wounldnt really need it to run games or anything serious. Just wondering if having a mac would really limit me in anything.
Allepac

Post by Allepac »

What programs do you use most? There will always be mac haters / Win haters. So its really a personal choice, But I can tell you if there is a similar app on the mac side. As more people buy macs (its now #3 PC sold in US) more software is made to work on it. And if the program doesn't run. You can always Make a Win 7 Virtual machine.

Its just a question if you want to learn a new OS or just stick with what you are comfortable with.
Frizle

Post by Frizle »

ended up getting a MacBook any tips or programs u can recommend
Allepac

Post by Allepac »

Grats. Yeah contact me ill get you some goodies.
Frizle

Post by Frizle »

I installed wow on my macbook but seems not to run great even on lowest setting any tips on getting it to run better
Allepac

Post by Allepac »

What one did you wind up getting? Does it have dual video cards? Like intel low powered and Nvidia 6xx. Or is it just running the intel chip?

If you have both go into energy saver in preferences and set it to higher performance as show.
EnergySaverGPUSettings_270x223.png
First thing off the top of my head if you are having issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frizle

Post by Frizle »

just wondering if there is anyway to run windows in sort of a windowed mode or something or is it easy to switch back and forth if you have you mac running both?
Miises

Post by Miises »

Maybe Wine for mac or something?