New PC, HELP!

Like Trade Chat, Only Worse

Moderators: Allepac, Bastosa

Mctucker

Re: New PC, HELP!

Post by Mctucker »

Necro!

So, more than a year later... :oops: I finally pulled the trigger and ordered parts for a new rig!!!

Before I post the list of what I got, a couple things to remember. I got my processor almost a year ago, from a buddy at Intel, brand new, for just over $100. I went with the GTX 780, because I got a FREE one from one of Meg's co-workers, since he just bought dual 980's. Since the GTX 780 is old and busted, compared to the shiny new 9xx series, I bought a second 780 for some sweet SLI action. (It doesn't have to be the exact same card, as long as its a 780, for SLI, right???) All in, this build cost around $1300 with the massive hookups I received. Here are the other components...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($120 Intel hookup)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($203.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.47 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card #2: EVGA GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 (Free!)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.79 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1309.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 03:23 EST-0500

Didn't use part picker for Case + Fans.
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 11-139-013 ($109)
2 additional 120mm fans for GPU cooling ($25)

Components have already started to arrive (Thanks Amazon Sunday delivery!) and everything should be here by Wednesday. I'm pretty stoked to have my view distance in WoW be more than 20 yards, so I might even level Mctucker up to 100. (probably not, I hate quests) I can't wait to play all the PC games I've missed out on over the last few years of having a computer that couldn't run them.

Anyway, posting the specs to get the opinions of the peanut gallery on how I did. *COUGH* Mani... I figure, I left myself a lot of room to upgrade components over the next couple of years. Even before I overclock the hell out of it, this build should play any current gen game on Ultra, at 2560x1440. After the parts get here, I'll post some pics of the build, the finished product, and some benchmarks.

And before anyone points it out, I am completely aware that I bought a load of PC components the week before everything goes on sale. It turns out I lack patience, and hate money. Fuck you. At least I waited on a 4k monitor till the sales happen.

Thanks guys, can't wait to hear your input!
Resident forum troll
Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

Nice setup Tucker

I am interested in hearing how the SLI works out for you. Here are some sample FPS using WoW as a benchmark.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVID ... LI/20.html

With your cpu cooler you should be able to get some decent overclocking, not that you will need it.

Good choice on the power supply, that will last you for several builds, same with the SSD and the case.

the ripjaws go on sale every now and then, so if you wanted to bump up to 16GB that wouldn't be too hard, although I doubt that it would be noticeable for 90% of the games you're going to be playing.

Definitely a good value for $1,300.

Some advice for the build;

I am not sure how many systems you have built, so ignore this if you have a couple builds under your belt.

Sometimes installation of the water cooler can be a little tricky, I watched a couple Youtube vids before I installed mine and it definitely helped.

Take a few minutes and plan out the cable management when you are deciding where the drives go.

Good luck with the build and post some pics!
Mctucker

Post by Mctucker »

The last time I built a computer from parts was 2004, so, thank you for the advice. I've already watched many youtube videos, and have some ideas for cable management. The couple of videos I watched on closed loop watercoolers make it look pretty easy, compared to a dual loop at least. I'm just worried that the rest of the parts won't arrive by tomorrow, and I won't be able to build it over the Thanksgiving break. I've already started a parts list for build #2, for Meg. I'm hoping to take advantage of the sales, since I couldn't wait. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures, and post them here.
Resident forum troll