New Computer

Like Trade Chat, Only Worse

Moderators: Allepac, Bastosa

Frizle

New Computer

Post by Frizle »

So think i found something that's will do what i need. I don't know much about this kinda stuff. Anyone got any suggestions on this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=077425

I'm planning on getting a SSD as well but i think everything else seems good. If its all good i should have it on sunday and hopefully be ready for mondays raid. Thanks for any input
Allepac

Re: New Computer

Post by Allepac »

Oh frizz. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from i3. i5 maybe. But no way an i3.
Frizle

New Computer

Post by Frizle »

Is there a big reason to stay away from them, the build with an i5 is 200$ more and I don't really have the extra cash right now. I'm really just buying this to run wow and some other random games nothing big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Allepac

Post by Allepac »

Ah I don't know. Whats wrong with your other PC? Couldn't you have it repaired cheaper than buying a whole new one? And quicker?

I've never used a current gen i3 processor. But I have fixed laptops with i3 processors and they are slow as fuck. I mean I guess if all you are doing is wow and have nothing else ruining it could be fine.
Frizle

Post by Frizle »

It's an old acer aspire and something on the motherboard fried. Repair quote was almost 300 and I figured buying a new system that could be upgraded in the future is better than repairing an old one. I'm not too worried about speed only games I ever play are wow and league and my old computer ran them just fine.

Allepac

Post by Allepac »

OK Yeah for 300 you could buy a new MB and CPU. That's insane.

Was just a warning on the i3. Just hate to see you spend that much on a machine and be frustrated.
Frizle

Post by Frizle »

Yea kinda in a shitty situation for me. Just looking for something quick that I can maybe upgrade later

Sanguyne

Post by Sanguyne »

what's your budget?

One of my budget saving tips is to go for refurbished units - especially if you can get a generation older processor in them. The sandy/ivy bridge i5 cpus aren't significantly slower than their haswell counterparts.

You don't really want to invest in a new computer without getting an i5 chip. Sure, you could upgrade the processor later on, but you'll never be able to resell an i3 chip, so the money that goes into that in the initial purchase is lost.

One downside to buying a pre-built machine is that they typically skimp heavily on the power supply because theyre shipping the machine with a mediocre graphics card at best. Upgrading to a legit graphics card (even the lower power gtx 9xx series) recommends a 400-500w psu. So you'd have to upgrade that as well down the road. It's something to weigh-in if you're even considering building yourself.